This tender Dutch Oven Braised Pot Roast falls right apart after 3 1/2 hours of cooking. Filled with fresh herbs, beef stock, red wine & root vegetables, this one pot meal is sure to impress anyone this holiday season.
- 3 1/2 lb boneless beef bottom chuck roast
- 4 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, Diamond Crystal
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, (canola, vegetable, or avocado)
- 1 carrot, small dice
- 1 celery stalk, small dice
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 1 leek, sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, cabernet or merlot
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 russet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Season chuck roast with 4 1/4 teaspoons of kosher salt & ground black pepper evenly on all sides. This may seem like a lot of salt, however this is a very large & thick cut of meat so it needs all the seasoning it can get.
- Heat up the oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat, and sear all side of the chuck roast. This can take up to 10 minutes.
- Once all the sides are nice and brown, remove the roast from the pot and set to the side. Add in the small diced carrots, onions, celery, and the sliced leeks. Sauté the vegetables until they start to sweat, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic cloves and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato paste and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the red wine and cook until the wine reduces by half. add the roast back into the pot along with the beef stock, thyme, rosemary, cumin, and a little bit more salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and place into the oven for 1 hour. Flip the roast after an hour and cover again for another hour and a half.
- After 2 1/2 hours, add in the carrots and potatoes, cover and let cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover the pot and let it cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove any excess fat from the top of the cooking liquid and serve. Enjoy!