Rich and creamy mashed sweet potatoes given subtle sweetness with honey, nuttiness from brown butter, & topped with spiced candied walnuts.
Honey-Brown Butter Sweet Potato Mash
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
Candied Walnut Topping
- 1 cup walnuts, shelled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick each sweet potato with a fork four times, and place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place in the oven and bake for one hour, rotating the baking sheet halfway through cooking.
- To prepare the candied walnuts, placed walnuts, butter, sugar, cayenne, and cinnamon into a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir with a spatula continuously until the sugar starts to melt. Make sure each walnut is evenly coated with the melted sugar, and pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Working quickly, using a spatula or a fork, separate the nuts from one another so they don’t stick together in clumps. They will begin to cool and harden instantly. They will take about five minutes to set.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan until it starts to brown and smell nutty. Add honey, cinnamon, and heavy cream. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Peel potatoes and place into a large bowl. Using a potato ricer or a masher mash the potatoes until desired consistency is reached. Pour in honey-brown butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Chop candied walnuts and sprinkle on top to serve.
- Category: Sides