This Shrimp and Grits recipe is a perfect breakfast or brunch option. Packed with flavor, a smooth, rich gravy joins with the shrimp and tops off the grits.
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, size 16-20
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, diamond crystal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- avocado oil (or any other neutral cooking oil)
- 1/4 red bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 serrano pepper, mined
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons wondra flour, or ap flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or shrimp stock
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- grits, prepared for serving
- Season shrimp with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme, and a teaspoon of avocado oil. Set to the side.
- Heat up a skillet and drizzle enough avocado oil (or whatever oil you’re using) in it to sear the shrimp. Once the skillet and oil are hot, add in the shrimp in a single layer. Sear for two minutes per side and remove from the skillet.
- Add unsalted butter into the same skillet and melt. Add in all of the minced onions and peppers and sauté until they start to become translucent, about five minutes. Sprinkle in flour and mix until incorporated. Cook for about one minute, and slowly begin to pour ad stir in the stock. It will look thick and lumpy in the beginning, just continue to add in the stock in batches and stir to combine without stopping.
- Once you’ve added in all of the stock and the gravy is smooth, cook for another minute or two and add the shrimp back in with its juices that accumulated. Add in the cilantro and mix to combine everything.
- Serve the shrimp with its gravy over the prepared grits.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: shrimp and grits