- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 lb ground beef, 80/20
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, diamond crystal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 14 ounce can tomato puree
- 1 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- fritos chips
- Pour vegetable oil into a dutch oven and heat over a medium high flame.
- Sauté onions and red bell peppers in the pot for 3-5 minutes, until they start to become translucent. Make a small space in the center of the pot and add the garlic, cooking until fragrant. About 30 seconds.
- Add ground beef to the pot and break up with a wooden spoon. Brown the meat about 80% of the way and then add in spices (chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes). Cook until the rest of the meat is browned.
- Pour in kidney beans, tomato puree, fire roasted tomatoes, and worcestershire sauce. Mix to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour. After an hour, remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes. If at any time the chili starts to look dry, add 3/4-1 cup of water.
- Top with toppings of your choice, and enjoy!