This 30-Minute Skillet Lasagna is the perfect one pot weeknight dinner when you’re craving bold flavors, but also want to get dinner on the table quickly. The noodles cook in the sauce, eliminating any extra pots and pans. This recipe has been adapted from CarnalDish.
Skillet Lasagna is my favorite dinner to make when I’m just too tired to make anything else, or when I’m pressed for time. I’ve been enjoying playing around in the kitchen and figuring out how to make quicker meals. Elaborate meals are great & they drive my creativity, but I know that not everyone has hours on end to dedicate to cooking. You can make incredible meals with simple ingredients and a small window of time. This skillet lasagna is made in a 12 inch cast iron skillet & serves around 6-8 people.
Skillet Lasagna Ingredients
My favorite jarred pasta sauce is hands down Rao’s. The flavor is incredible and you don’t have to add anything to it to boost the flavor. This sauce is a little more expensive than other sauces, but I am consistently able to find large jars at a discounted price in wholesale clubs, such as BJ’s Wholesale Club. You can use your favorite jarred sauce, but I really recommend you try out this sauce if you can or if you’re interested.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, diamond crystal
- ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 24 ounce jar of pasta sauce, Rao’s tomato basil sauce
- 1 cup water
- 7 lasagna noodle sheets, broken into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 7 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
Chiffonade herbs are a great cut to use for garnish. I stack the basil leaves on top of each other & roll the into a cigar shape, length wise. I run my knife through the length of the herbs in a slicing motion & I don’t lift my knife up from the cutting board. You should end up with shredded basil.
How To Make 30-Minute Skillet Lasagna
- In a 12 -inch cast iron skillet, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the diced onions until they become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the ground beef and kosher salt & ground black pepper. Break up and brown meat 80% of the way, then add sliced garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 1 minute, until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add in balsamic vinegar and cook for two minutes. Add in Rao’s pasta sauce (or your favorite jarred pasta sauce if you can’t find Rao’s) & water. Stir.
- Place broken noodles into the sauce and submerge each noodle so they’re covered. Reduce flame to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook until the noodles are al dente, about 20-25 minutes. Be sure to stir the noodles every few minutes so they won’t stick to the bottom.
- Mix the ricotta, parmesan, and 1 tablespoon of chiffonade basil together. Season with kosher salt & pepper.
- When the noodles are al dente, sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese into the lasagna and mix it in. Spoon the ricotta mixture into little mounds all over the lasagna & sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella on top. Cover to melt the cheese. Uncover and place the skillet under the broiler for a few minutes to slightly brown the cheese. Enjoy!