This crispy juicy Air Fryer Fried Chicken will have you questioning whether they were deep fried or not. The Air Fryer works beautifully in creating the most crunchy skin and perfectly cooked meat, without the hassle of filling up a skillet with oil.
Wings are one of my favorite things to eat, and fried wings may be at the top of all other wings. If you like wings like I do, then you will LOVE this low effort recipe I have for you today. My Dad and Grandma used to fry chicken pretty regularly when I was growing up. When I would wake up to the smell of chicken on a weekend morning, I immediately knew that it was either going to be a beach day or a picnic day. I think that’s why I love it so much. It makes me think back to happy memories.
The Wonderful World of Air Fryers
Now, let’s talk about Air Fryers. I received a 7 Quart PowerXL from my Dad on my birthday last year. I had never used an air fryer before so it took a little getting used to, but the more I experimented with it the more impressed I became with it. Lately it has become my best friend. Air Fryers are great at cooking things quickly with little to no oil. They are efficient and low maintenance. Heating up leftovers in them is also a dream! I believe Air Fryers are magical, and everyone should own one. They come in many different sizes, so whether you live alone or have a family to feed, there is an Air Fryer out there that will fit your needs. The fan within the Air Fryer acts as a convection oven –and circulates all around your food– so most times you won’t even have to flip what you’re cooking.
Let’s Make Air Fryer Fried Chicken
There are very few steps in the process of making these fried chicken wings, and they only take 22 minutes to make.
- Preheat your air fryer by setting it to run on 400F degrees for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add seasonings to chicken wings and rub them in until every wing is evenly coated.
- Add additional seasonings to flour & cornstarch mixture in a separate bowl.
- Place a few wings into the flour mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Shake off the excess flour from the wings and place in one layer in the air fryer basket, with some space in between each wing. Try not to overcrowd the basket.
- Insert the basket into the Air Fryer, and cook the wings on 400F degrees for 22 minutes. Halfway through cooking (at the 11 minute mark), open the basket and spray some cooking oil spray on any areas of the wings where you can still see flour. Return the basket to the air fryer and allow the wings to finish cooking for the remaining 11 minutes.
- Your Air Fryer should beep when time is up. Remove wings and serve.
Tips For The Best Results
- The addition of cornstarch to the flour mixture is what helps these chicken wings get that crunchy exterior.
- You do not need much oil here! Just a little bit of cooking spray goes a long way.
- Leave a little space in between each wing and try not to overcrowd the Air Fryer basket. This will ensure even cooking all around each wing.